Large Push-Pull Solenoid - 12VDC
A large solenoid operating at 12V.
Customers who bought this product also bought:
- NeoPixel 60 LED RGB Strip LED Strip - white - 1 m
- Melexis MLX90614 5V Contactless Infrared Temperature Sensor
- Mini Push-Pull Solenoid - 5V
- Block battery 8xAA with ON-OFF switch and connector Jack 2,1 mm
- Medium Push-Pull Solenoid - 5V or 6V
- DC Power 2.1 mm female to terminal block adapter
- LM35DZ temperature sensor
- Pack of 200 Leds - 3mm and 5mm - Red Green Green Blue Yellow Yellow White
Solenoids are essentially electromagnets: they consist of a coil of copper wire with a framework (a piece of metal) in the middle. When the coil is energized, the metal end is pulled out at the center of the coil. The electromagnet is thus capable of pulling (from one end) or pushing (from the other).
This solenoid in particular is very small, with a 40mm long body and a "captive" armature with a return spring. This means that when activated with ~12VDC, the solenoid moves and if the voltage is removed, it returns to its original position, which is very convenient. Many low-cost electromagnets are of the push or pull type only and may not have a captive armature (it will fall!) or have no return spring. This one even has nice fixing tabs, it is an excellent universal solenoid.
To drive a solenoid, you will need a power transistor and a protective diode, check this diagram to find out how to connect it to an Arduino microcontroller or other. You will need a good enough power supply to drive a solenoid, as a lot of current will rush into the solenoid to recharge the electromagnet, about 250mA so be careful if you try to power/activate from a computer's USB.
- 12 DC operation (you can use 9-12 DC volts, but lower voltage results in weaker/slower operation)
- Push or pull type with 10 mm throw
- Coil resistance: ~12 ohms
- 6 Newton starting force (12VDC / 50% duty cycle)
- 5.1 oz / 144 grams
N Type IRF520 MOSFET power transistor1,50 € Add to cart
10 X fast siganl 1N4148 Diodes1,44 € Add to cart
10 X 1N4007 recovery Diodes1,92 € Add to cart
IRF540 N Type MOSFET power transistor1,80 € Add to cart
Network of 8 Darlington NPN transistors.1,50 € Add to cart
A 12VDC solenoid-based electric lock to lock a door.17,94 € Add to cart
A small solenoid operating at 12V.9,00 € Add to cart